Home  Questions and Answers for Family Immigration  |   Facebook  Twitter

Additional Documents for Sibling Relationship through Adoption and Step Parents


My bother is U.S. citizen and he is applying for U.S. immigration for me. My brother and I are related through a step-father. What kind of additional documents we should submit to USCIS for our sibling relationship?


For brother/sister relationship through adoption, step parents or paternal half-siblings, the additional documentation for U.S. immigration or Green Card application should include:

1) If you and your sibling are related through adoption, you should submit a copy of the adoption decree showing that the adoption took place, before you or your sibling became 16 years old.

2) If you and your sibling are related through a step-parent, you should submit copies of documents showing that any prior marriage of the natural parent and/or step-parent were legally terminated, and a copy of the marriage certificate of the step-parent to the natural parent.

3) If you and your sibling have a biological father but different mothers (you are paternal half-siblings), you should submit submit: copies of the marriage certificates of the father to each mother, and copies of documents showing that any prior marriages of either your father or mothers were legally terminated.

If your name or your sibling’s name has changed, please include proof of the legal name change, such as marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption decree, court judgment of name change.




For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
 © Family Green Card Application Service, www.greencardfamily.com