Home  Questions and Answers for Family Immigration  |   Facebook  Twitter

What is the Application Process to Get an Immigrant Visa for a Brother of a U.S. Citizen?


I am a U.S. citizen, and will apply for immigrant visa for my brother. What is the application process to get an immigrant visa for a brother of a U.S. citizen?


To start the immigrant visa application process for U.S. citizen's brother or sister, the U.S. citizen will need to file an immigrant visa petition using USCIS Form I-130, with the proof of U.S. citizenship and the proof of siblings. Other evidence includes both person's birth certificate and showing at least one parent in common.

If the U.S. citizen and his/her brother or sister are related only through a father with different mother, U.S. citizen will also need the father's marriage certificate from his marriage to U.S. citizen's mother, and the one from his marriage to his/her sibling's mother.

If you meet the requirements and wish to bring your sibling to the United States, near the end of the application process, you will need to show that your household income exceeds 125% of the poverty level in the U.S., meaning that you can financially support your own family as well as your sibling's. You will hopefully be able to do so by filling out an Affidavit of Support on Form I-864, which is essentially a contract with the U.S. government. If your sibling does end up claiming needs-based government assistance, your having signed this affidavit allows the government to come to you for reimbursement of these amounts.




For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
 © Family Green Card Application Service, www.greencardfamily.com