Home  Questions and Answers for Family Immigration  |   Facebook  Twitter

Can I Sponsor My Wife’s Parents for US Green Card Application?


I am U.S. citizen, and my wife holds the conditional Green Card. Can I sponsor my wife’s parents for U.S. Green Cards?


You cannot file an immigration petition for your wife’s parents. If you are a U.S. citizen, you can only sponsor Green Card application for your spouse, parents and your children. However, you can also help other categories of relatives to obtain Green Cards, and you may file petitions for your married and unmarried children above age 21 and your siblings.

Your wife can sponsor her parents after she becomes a U.S. citizen. If your wife currently holds a conditional Green Card, you and your wife must jointly file an application to remove conditions on that card. After immigration interview, if the USCIS officers find that your wife is eligible for lawful status and that your marriage is not fraudulent, your wife will be issued a ten year Green Card.

After remaining in the country as a Green Card holder for three years, your wife can apply for US citizenship, by filing the naturalization application, Form N-400. However, you and your wife must still be married at the end of the three year period and your wife must meet few other prerequisites, to file Form N-400.




For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
 © Family Green Card Application Service, www.greencardfamily.com