Home  Questions and Answers for Family Immigration  |   Facebook  Twitter

How to Get the Citizenship After My Marriage to a U.S. Citizen?


I marriaed to a U.S. Citizen. What is the primary immigration process for the Green Card application?


If you marry a U.S. citizen, you would not be eligible for U.S. citizenship right away. But you might become eligible for a U.S. green card, which can lead to U.S. citizenship. However, there are certain requirements that must be met before you can apply for a green card, and ultimately for U.S. citizenship after marriage to a U.S. citizen.

As the spouse of a U.S. citizen, you are what is called an immediate relative in immigration law. There are no annual numerical limits on the green cards issued under this category, and therefore no waiting lists before you can apply.

The U.S. citizen spouse must start the process for the spouse, by submitting a visa petition on Form I-130 to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The form must be accompanied by evidence of the marriage being legally valid, namely a marriage certificate, as well as proof that the marriage is bona fide, not merely a sham to get you a green card.




For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
 © Family Green Card Application Service, www.greencardfamily.com