Home  Questions and Answers for Family Immigration  |   Facebook  Twitter

I Have Received U.S. Green Card with Marriage, When I Can Apply for U.S. Citizenship?


I have received U.S. Green Card with marriage for two years, When I can apply for U.S. citizenship?


As the spouse of a U.S. citizen, you do not have to wait until you have had a Green Card for 5 years as others to apply for U.S. citizenship through the process known as naturalization. Assuming you stay married to and living with your U.S. citizen spouse the whole time, you can apply for citizenship 3 years after obtaining a Green Card.

You will also need to meet other requirements, such as having good moral character, having spent the majority of those 3 years living in the United States, being able to speak, read, and write English, and being able to pass a U.S. civics test.

The application for naturalization must be made by submitting Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, to USCIS. You will need to attend an interview at a USCIS office. There, your application will be reviewed and you will be tested on your knowledge of English and civics. Marriage to a U.S. citizen does not guarantee an U.S. citizenship. Applications for U.S. green cards through marriage are scrutinized carefully, because the government takes fraudulent marriage very seriously.




For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
 © Family Green Card Application Service, www.greencardfamily.com