Home  Questions and Answers for Family Immigration  |   Facebook  Twitter

What Is the Application Process for Parents to Receive U.S. Permanent Residence?


I am US citizen. How can I get Green Card for my parents? What is the application process for parents to receive U.S. permanent residence?


To start the process to apply
for parents to receive U.S. permanent residence (Green Card), you will need to fill out Form I-130, also called Petition for Alien Relative, issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). You need to prove your status as a U.S. citizen and the child-parent relationship.

Thus, you will need to include both a copy of your U.S. passport, naturalization certificate, or other proof of citizenship, as well as your birth certificate showing your parents' names, or similar proof of their relationship to you. You should not send originals of these or any documents to USCIS, you will never get them back from USCIS. If you are petitioning for both parents, you will need to submit two separate Form I-130 petitions.

As soon as the Form I-130 petition has been approved, USCIS will forward the file to a U.S. consulate in your parents' home country. The US consulate will communicate with them about how they can submit their own required application forms and documents. You will need to submit an Affidavit of Support on USCIS Form I-864 during this stage of the process.

Thereafter, the US consulate will call your parents in for an interview at which their immigrant visa should be approved. With that visa, they can enter the United States and become lawful permanent residents.





For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
 © Family Green Card Application Service, www.greencardfamily.com