Home  Questions and Answers for Family Immigration  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter

Do I Qualify for U Visa, and How to Change My Illegal Status to U-Status?


I am in U.S. illegally and a victim of crimes. Do I qualify for U visa, and how to change my illegal status to U-status?


The U visa is set aside for victims of certain crimes who have suffered mental or physical abuse, and are helpful to law enforcement or government officials in the investigation or prosecution of criminal activity.

U.S. Congress was intended to strengthen the ability of law enforcement agencies to investigate and prosecute cases of domestic violence, sexual assault, trafficking of aliens and other crimes, while also protecting victims of crimes who have suffered substantial mental or physical abuse due to the crime and are willing to help law enforcement authorities in the investigation or prosecution of the criminal activity.

Victims of certain serious crimes, who have suffered substantial mental or physical abuse as a result of criminal activity in the United States may be eligible to use this form of relief and apply for the U nonimmigrant status, or U visa.

Victims must cooperate in the criminal investigations or prosecutions. They can then be granted U status and, after 3 years, if humanitarian need, public interest, or family unity reasons can be proven, they can apply for lawful permanent residency.




For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
 © Family Green Card Application Service, www.greencardfamily.com