Home  Questions and Answers for Family Immigration  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter

Application Process for Parents Getting a Green Card and Form I-864


My parents are currently in U.S. to visit us. What is the application process for me to sporsor my parents to get their Green Cards?


The process of getting a green card for parents depends on whether they will be adjusting status or going through consular processing. For adjustment of status inside United States, it basically involves submitting a Form I-130 visa petition, prepared by the child petitioner as the the sponsor, along with the parents' own application on Form I-485, with supporting forms and documents to USCIS.

One of the important supporting forms is one that the child will also need to submit, known as Form I-864, the affidavit of support promising that the child will reimburse any government agency from which the parents receive need-based assistance. These materials are submitted all at once by mail to USCIS, after which the parents will be called in for fingerprinting, and finally an interview.




For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
 © Family Green Card Application Service, www.greencardfamily.com