Home  Questions and Answers for Family Immigration  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter

Do I Remain in J-2 Status after My Marriage to the J-1 Husband Is Terminated?


My husband is in J-1 status, and I was admitted to the U.S. with J-2 visa. My husband and I now have a  separation, and we do not plan to live together as husband and wife ever again. However, we have not gone through the legal divorce process. Am I still in valid J-2 status?


Normally, physical separation or legal separation, a separation formalized by a court, of married parties does not constitute a legal termination of a marriage. This is the case even in circumstances where each party of the marriage has no intention of residing with each other again.

However, in some instances, a legal separation may be considered a legal termination of a marriage for immigration law purposes. This occurs when the law of a state or country converts legal separations automatically into divorces after a period of time.

You will remain in J-2 status until your marriage to the J-1 holder is terminated. Your physical separation from your husband should not influence your J-2 status.




For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
 © Family Green Card Application Service, www.greencardfamily.com