Home  Questions and Answers for Family Immigration  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter

Conditional Residence Green Card and How to Remove the Conditions


My wife has a conditional Green Card (or conditional permanent resident status) in United States. How to remove the conditions and receive a permanent U.S. Green Card?


If you are a U.S. citizen or Green Card holder, if you have been married less than two years when your alien spouse is granted U.S. permanent resident status, the alien spouse will receive U.S. permanent resident status on a conditional basis.

 To remove the conditions on you spouse's residence status in United States, you and your spouse should apply together using USCIS Form I-751, Petition to Remove the Conditions of Residence.

 You must apply to remove conditional status within the 90-day period before the expiration date on the conditional resident card. If you fail to file during this time, your spouse’s resident status will be terminated and he or she may be subject to removal from the United States.

 If your alien spuse has a child in previous marriage and if you are petitioning for a step-child and have not been married to the child’s genetic parent genetic or legal gestational mother for 2 years at the time the child receives permanent residence, the child will be granted conditional permanent resident status also. Therefore Form I-751 can also be used to remove the conditional basis of permanent residence for the child.

 If your spouse and child became conditional permanent resident  at the same time or within 6 months, the child can be included in your spouse’s petition. If the child became a permanent resident more than 6 months after your spouse, the child will need to file a separate Form I-751.




For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
 © Family Green Card Application Service, www.greencardfamily.com