Home  Questions and Answers for Family Immigration  |  Google+  Facebook  Twitter

How to Fill Form I-864 to Support Alien Spouse with Low Income and Assets


I am a United States citizen and have married a lady in her country. Now we want to move back to United States, but my income is not high. What are the financial requirements for her to apply a U.S. Green Card?


The immigration law outlines specific financial requirements for U.S. citizens who marry an alien immigrant who will apply for a U.S. Green Card. The U.S. citizen will need to fill out a Form I-864 Affidavit of Support, which proves the ability to support the immigrant at a level above the U.S. Poverty Guidelines.

Therefore, the U.S. citizen will need to promise the U.S. government to support the alien spouse for approximately ten years. If the U.S. citizen does not have enough income and assets to support the immigrant at the required level, you may need to find a household member or other person in the U.S. to promise the support. The immigrant's own assets can be counted as well. But it will not help for the alien immigrant to get a job offer in the United States.




For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
 © Family Green Card Application Service, www.greencardfamily.com