Home  Questions and Answers for Family Immigration  | 

With the K-1 Fiance Visa, Do I Have to Marry My Fiancée in U.S. within 90 Days?


Currently, I am in United States with K-1 fiance visa. Do I have to marry my fiancée in U.S. within 90 days?


K-1 nonimmigrant status automatically expires after 90 days and cannot be extended. Generally, the fiance must leave U.S. at the end of the 90 days if you do not marry. If you do not depart, you will be in violation of U.S. immigration law

If you are present in U.S. as a K-1 fiance,
you should apply for Status Adjustment as soon as you marry your fiancée. By U.S. law and regulations, you are required to marry the U.S. citizen who petitioned for you within 90 days of your admission to the United States in K-1 status. If you fail to marry, you will become removable from the U.S. and cannot adjust through any other means.

The petitioner must show that both of you are free to marry, and intend to marry within 90 days of the foreign national's admission to the United States as a K-1 nonimmigrant. Generally, the U.S. citizen and the fiancé or fiancée must have met each other in person during the 2 years before filing the petition.




For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
 © Family Green Card Application Service, www.greencardfamily.com