Home  Questions and Answers for Family Immigration  |   Facebook  Twitter

The Requirement of Sufficient Income to Sponsor Parents Immigration


I am U.S. citizen, but still currently a college student. I want to apply for Green Card for my mother, do I need certain income to file the immigration application for her?


If you are a U.S. citizen, you can apply for U.S. green cards or U.S. lawful permanent residence for your parents, if you are at least 21 years old. U.S. citizen's parents are considered to be "immediate relatives" under the immigration laws, which means that there is no limit on the immigrant number in this category every year, and therefore no waiting time in the application process and immigrant visa number.

One important consideration is that the U.S. citizen should show sufficient income or assets to sponsor your parents at 125% of the U.S. poverty guidelines. This requirement is to make sure the parents are not likely "public charges," or people likely to receive need-based government assistance.

Also, it is important to realize that your parents can be denied the Green Cards, if they are inadmissible on other grounds, such as having a record of criminal convictions or immigration violations, or carrying a disease that presents a public health risk, or having a dangerous physical or mental disorder.




For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
 © Family Green Card Application Service, www.greencardfamily.com