Home  Questions and Answers for Family Immigration  |   Facebook  Twitter

Difference between Marrying a U.S. Citizen in my Home Country or in U.S.


I am an B-1 visa visitor. I am planning to marry a U.S. Citizen. What is the difference between marrying a U.S. Citizen in my home country or in the U.S.? How long will we be apart to get Green Card?


If you marry a U.S. citizen in the United States, you may face a longer waiting time to get Green Card, but you will be able to stay together while you wait.

If you chose to immigrate from outside the United States after your marriage abroad to a U.S. Citizen, the waiting time to get Green Card is shorter, ranging anywhere from a few months to a year. But you will be separated except for when your U.S. spouse can visit you abroad.

Spouses of United States citizens, like all immediate relatives of United States citizens, are exempt from the immigrant visa preference quotas. Simply put, a spouse of a United States citizen will be able to apply for lawful permanent residence and will be able to receive lawful permanent residence as fast as the government can act.




For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
 © Family Green Card Application Service, www.greencardfamily.com