Home  Questions and Answers for Family Immigration  |   Facebook  Twitter

How to Apply for a Green Card for My Family Member?


As a U.S. permanent resident, how to apply for a Green Card for my family member?


As a Green Card holder or U.S. Permanent Resident, you may petition for certain family members to immigrate to the United States as permanent residents. You may petition for the following family members:
  • Spouse (husband or wife);
  • Unmarried children under 21;
  • Unmarried son or daughter of any age.
A visa becomes available to a preference category according to the priority date - the date the Form I-130 was properly filed. When petitioning for your relative, the following preference categories apply:
  • First preference: Unmarried, adult sons and daughters of U.S. citizens. (Adult means 21 or older)
  • Second Preference (2A): Spouses of Green Card holders, unmarried children (under 21) of permanent residents
  • Second Preference (2B):  Unmarried adult sons and daughters of permanent residents
  • Third Preference: Married sons and daughters (any age) of U.S. citizens
  • Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens
To obtain a Green Card for your family member, you must file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, and provide proof of your status to demonstrate that you are a permanent resident;

Submit evidence of the qualifying relationship such as a birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc, including proof of any legal name change for you or your family member - the beneficiary.




For All Your Immigration and Green Card Application Needs
 © Family Green Card Application Service, www.greencardfamily.com